This website uses cookies to provide services, customize ads, and analyze traffic. By using this website you agree to this. More information

Bžany

The municipality forms an administrative unit with eight parts (Bukovice, Bžany, Hradiště, Lbín, Lhenice, Lysec, Mošnov and Pytlíkov) and three cadastral districts (Bžany, Lhenice u Bžan and Lysec) with the municipal authority in Bžany. The entire territory is situated in an area of 1,115 hectares at an elevation ranging from 180 m above sea level to 310 m above sea level. The current form of the village originated gradually. First, the village of Lhenice with parts of Bukovice and Mošnov were incorporated into Bžany and Hradiště in 1960 and the village of Lysec with parts of Lbín and Pytlíkov being incorporated into it in 1980 based on integration. Bžany is the oldest part of the municipality. 

From a historical point of view, it represents an old settlement that reminds you of 1303. In the early 19th century, Bžany belonged to the Teplice entailed demesne which belonged to Edmund Moritz, Prince von Clary und Aldringen. Bžany was connected with agriculture in the past, which is also confirmed by the fact that we can read about the growing of very good hops in old books of the dynasty of whom Edmund Moritz was a member. In the past, lignite mining played a significant role for the territory of Bžany around 1830. Arnold mines near Hradiště and Bžany used to mine in the area. Mining operations were terminated in the Karolína II open-pit mine and with the Přemysl mine in 1953.

The entire territory of the municipality is considered to be an area that features archaeological findings. These findings have been deposited in the Regional Museum in Teplice. A unique archaeological finding in the territory of our village was made in Lysec as two bronze vessels imported from Rome were found there. Based on the duty stamp with the manufacturers’ names, which were stamped on the handle of the pan, we know that it was made in the first half of the 1st century by Tiberius Robilius Situs and C. Atiliou Hannon in the Roman town of Capua. It gives us proof of trade connections between the local (then mostly German) population with that of the Roman Empire.

 

Cultural monuments in the municipality:

The property of the municipality includes a total of 7 small chapels that are included in the list of cultural monuments. In 2014, the claddings of the chapels in Lbín and Lysec were renovated. Furthermore, in the village there is the Church of St. Lawrence with grounds that are owned by the church. It is ranked among cultural monuments as well. In addition, there are privately-owned rural homesteads, residential buildings, a granary and barns here. Their proprietors try to preserve such cultural heritage. There is a road bridge spanning the Bílina River in the local part of Lbín, which is another cultural monument but in the ownership of the Ústí nad Labem Region.