This website uses cookies to provide services, customize ads, and analyze traffic. By using this website you agree to this. More information

Regional Library

The library of the town of Teplice found its seat in Lípová Street in 1946 in the former villa of the family of factory owner M Grohmann. The building was originally built as a private grammar school in 1876. After being purchased by M Grohmann in 1894, the construction underwent demanding alterations of the interiors in the spirit of historicism. Czech libraries were set up in Teplice from the 1870s and were attached to Czech clubs. An Alois Jirásek Library for the Czech minority was established only after 1918 in addition to a German town library in Školní Street. In that year, the First Librarian Law was promulgated, laying down the duty to found a library based on the number of inhabitants. It was based on Castle Square in the House Zlatý kříž (The Golden Cross), later in Alejní Street in a new block of flats and after the borderlands were annexed in 1938, the town’s administration had the books deposited in the building of the Heller factory.

After 1945, the public Czech library of the town of Teplice acquired a villa in Lípová Street which has been operating up to now.