This website uses cookies to provide services, customize ads, and analyze traffic. By using this website you agree to this. More information

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross

The prominent nobleman of the Bohemian Kingdom named Volf from Vřesovice became the owner of the Teplice demesne after 1540. He chose Teplice for the home of his family and then the town flourished. A Renaissance castle, the Chapel of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross completed in 1568, remains there to commemorate the building conversions of the spa and castle made by him. Volf from Vřesovice was buried there the following year. It is a single-nave construction with an octagonal tower; during the period of 1798–1806, the chapel acquired a Romantic Neo-Gothic appearance with a higher tower. In the church there is an interesting bell with an inscription in Czech that commemorates the bell’s founder Václav Michl and is dated to 1477. It is the oldest Czech inscription in the Teplice area. Since 1950, the church has been used by the Orthodox Church.